Saturday, January 17, 2009

Thought for today

Thou shalt guide me with Thy counsel, and afterward receive me to glory.
--Psalm 73:24


For we walk by faith, not by sight. --2 Corinthians 5:7


Jesus My Guide
by Joseph Hart


When'er I make some sudden stop-
For many such I make-
And cannot see the cloud cleared up
Nor know which path to take,

I to my Savior speed my way,
To tell my dubious state;
Then listen what the Lord will say,
And to follow that.

If Jesus seem to hide His face,
What anxious fears I feel!
But if He deign to whisper peace,
I'm happy! all is well.

Confirmed by one soft, secret word,
I seek no farther light;
But walk, depending on my Lord,
By faith, and not by sight.

Of friends and counselors bereft,
I often hear Him say,
"Decline not to the right or left;
Go on; lo! here's the way."

Weak in myself, in Him I'm strong;
His Spirit's voice I hear.
The way I walk cannot be wrong.
If Jesus be but there.

He is my Helper and my Guide;
I trust in Him alone;
No other helps have I beside;
I venture all on One.


In difficult times, I have often thought and asked with Simon Peter; "Lord, to whom shall we go? Thou hast the words of eternal life. "

Many have turned away from Jesus Christ; some have looked to this world's thousands of empty philosophies, some have, in serious error, placed their trust in religious ceremonies, yet others, mistakenly, cling to God's law as their hope, while others have loved the things of this world. These have forsaken Him, "the fountain of living waters," they have...hewed them out cisterns, broken cisterns, that can hold no water." While the flesh may be satisfied, the soul (the real person) is dead, it has no light. The question then must be asked; "what shall a man give in exchange for his soul?"

Lord, I pray that I will "be found in Him, not having mine own righteousness, which is of the law, but that which is through the faith of Christ, the righteousness which is of God by faith." Deliver me from the influences of this world, save me from my self and my own supposed righteousness.

Keep me in your path, in your way. May my rest be in your dear Son.

Lord, lead me to the Rock that is higher than I.

No comments: