Saturday, November 7, 2009

Wind grabbing

Ecclesiastes 1
with a few of my added Ramblings

The words of the Preacher, the son of David, king in Jerusalem.

Solomon identify's himself, these are his thoughts, as he was moved by the Holy Spirit, probably written in his later years. Written after he himself had lived and experienced a life of vanity.

2 Vanity of vanities, saith the Preacher, vanity of vanities; all is vanity.

The 'all' refers to all worldly things, all men's great plans, purposes and labors.
'Vanity' is that which is empty, worthless, fruitless and unsatisfactory.

3 What profit hath a man of all his labour which he taketh under the sun?
4 One generation passeth away, and another generation cometh: but the earth abideth for ever.
5 The sun also ariseth, and the sun goeth down, and hasteth to his place where he arose.
6 The wind goeth toward the south, and turneth about unto the north; it whirleth about continually, and the wind returneth again according to his circuits.
7 All the rivers run into the sea; yet the sea is not full; unto the place from whence the rivers come, thither they return again.
8 All things are full of labour; man cannot utter it: the eye is not satisfied with seeing, nor the ear filled with hearing.

How true regarding the 'eye' and the 'ear'; we cannot see and hear enough. We might taste, hear, and handle enough but even when we are tired and worn we never seem to 'see' and hear' enough. We can sit and stare and listen and still gain nothing.

9 ¶ The thing that hath been, it is that which shall be; and that which is done is that which shall be done: and there is no new thing under the sun.
10 Is there any thing whereof it may be said, See, this is new? it hath been already of old time, which was before us.
11 There is no remembrance of former things; neither shall there be any remembrance of things that are to come with those that shall come after.


12 ¶ I the Preacher was king over Israel in Jerusalem.
13 And I gave my heart to seek and search out by wisdom concerning all things that are done under heaven: this sore travail hath God given to the sons of man to be exercised therewith.
14 I have seen all the works that are done under the sun; and, behold, all is vanity and vexation of spirit.
15 That which is crooked cannot be made straight: and that which is wanting cannot be numbered.

Solomon gave himself to seeking out all things (see 2:1-11) and he concluded all is "vanity", empty, unsatisfying, and like trying to catch the wind. The phrase "vexation of spirit" is literally 'feeding upon wind'. Go ahead, step outside and grab some wind today.

He found out with all his wisdom and seeking that there are things man cannot change, "crooked cannot be made straight". Think about it, with all our science so-called and all our vast technology we are still not able to cure many diseases, we cannot (naturally) add to the height of a man or change the color of their skin. Much less, are we able to change our own hearts.


16 I communed with mine own heart, saying, Lo, I am come to great estate, and have gotten more wisdom than all they that have been before me in Jerusalem: yea, my heart had great experience of wisdom and knowledge.
17 And I gave my heart to know wisdom, and to know madness and folly: I perceived that this also is vexation of spirit. (grabbing the wind)
18 For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow.

I hear you Solomon, think of all the cynicism in the world today, most of it gotten from to much "wisdom" and "knowledge". Guilty, I am!

Oh, what I wouldn't do to go back to that time in my life when I first learned of my precious Savior, the Lord Jesus Christ. When I desired to know Him, to love Him and follow Him. Somewhere, along the way, a little here and a little there, I sought out worldly wisdom and worldly knowledge and it brought nothing but grief and sorrow to my soul and to those around me. Empty wind grabbing, that's what I did and what I am still prone to do.

I hear the apostle John say, "sin not"! I read Peter's admonition with fear; "Ye therefore, beloved, seeing ye know these things before, beware lest ye also, being led away with the error of the wicked, fall from your own stedfastness." I cry with the apostle Paul "O wretched man that I am! who shall deliver me from the body of this death?"

And I ask, what else does the word of God say? It does say "sin not" but then John writes; "And if any man sin, we have an Advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous: And He is the propitiation for our sins: and not for ours only, but also for the sins of the whole world." The apostle Paul writes "I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord." In another place Paul wrote; "But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ."

May God forgive me for all my 'wind grabbing'. Lord, I pray for mercy and grace to help me in time of need. In the name of my High Priest, the Lord Jesus Christ. Amen.


May I close with this;

"But unto them which are called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God, and the wisdom of God. Because the foolishness of God is wiser than men; and the weakness of God is stronger than men. For ye see your calling, brethren, how that not many wise men after the flesh, not many mighty, not many noble, are called:
But God hath chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise; and God hath chosen the weak things of the world to confound the things which are mighty; And base things of the world, and things which are despised, hath God chosen, yea, and things which are not, to bring to nought things that are: That no flesh should glory in his presence. But of him are ye in Christ Jesus, who of God is made unto us wisdom, and righteousness, and sanctification, and redemption: That, according as it is written, He that glorieth, let him glory in the Lord.

No comments: