Sunday, May 23, 2010

Do you know too many things?

A. W. Tozer said; "One trouble with us today is that we know too many things."  As I read his quote (written in the 20th century) I thought about that scripture in Eccl 1:17-18 where Solomon wrote;

"And I gave my heart to know wisdom, and to know madness and folly: I perceived that this also is vexation of spirit.  For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow."

Remember, in the context of Eccl 1 Solomon is writing about a wisdom that is "under the heaven". This knowledge, this wisdom, is not from above. Solomon found the pursuit of knowing things, the pursuit of wisdom "under the sun" (earthly wisdom) to be "vexation of spirit" (wind grabbing). He found it to be empty and he found that it produced sorrow.

Now I'm not discounting knowing all things or everything for that matter but what I believe Mr Tozer was getting at was our relationship to our Creator, our walk with God, our knowledge of Him. So, do you and I know too many things? Are our hearts and minds filled with empty knowledge? Are our minds cluttered, perhaps choking out the knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ?

May we, "through God" be those who are "casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalts itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ"! May we be found in the company of the apostle Paul who said towards the end of his life here on earth, "that I may know Him".

No comments: