Monday, July 1, 2013

What is necessary?



It is not necessary for me to be rich, but it is necessary for me to make my peace with God;  it is not necessary that I should live a pleasurable life in this world, but it is absolutely necessary that I should have pardon of my sin;  it is not necessary that I should have honor and preferment, but it is necessary that I should have God as my portion, and have my part in Jesus Christ, it is necessary that my soul should be saved in the day of Jesus Christ.  The other things are pretty fine indeed, and I should be glad if God would give me them, a fine house, and income, and clothes, and advancement for my wife and children:  these are comfortable things, but they are not the necessary things;  I may have these and yet perish forever, but the other is absolutely necessary".
n  Jeremiah Burrough,, The Rare Jewel of Christian Contentment

No comments: