Friday, September 26, 2008

Sweet Relief

The hymn writer wrote:

In seasons of distress and grief my soul has often found relief,
and oft escaped the tempter's snare by thy return sweet hour of prayer.

Our relief is not in the praying itself, our relief is found in the One to whom we pray. Prayer is the means of communication to our heavenly Father. For those who are born of God prayer in the soul is like breathing to the body. Whether we enunciate and speak words, or formulate and organize thoughts, or if we just sigh or groan towards heaven; the One we cry out to, the One who hears and the One who answers is our God. It is He who gives relief.

And since He bids me seek His face, believe His word and trust His grace,
I'll cast on Him my every care, and wait for thee, sweet hour of prayer.

So, why do we wait? Why do we not call upon Him more and often? We fret, we worry, we complain, we 'man up' so to speak, we put off, and we make excuses. We will do everything, it seems, except quietly get before "Him that loved us and washed us from our sins in His own blood".

Lord, forgive me my sin, my neglect of you, please give me that child like trust in You who are worthy of ALL praise, honor, and glory.

No comments: