Tuesday, September 16, 2008

without reproach

"If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not (without reproach); and it shall be given him." James 1:5

These are sweet words and instructive words for believers, for those washed in the blood of the Lord Jesus Christ. They are sweet food for my soul. They are sweet in that they speak of the kindness and compassion of my heavenly Father. They are instructive in that I should seek to be like Him in the way that I treat others who might come to me for advice or "wisdom".

When I lack wisdom I can freely go to my Father through His Son and seek it without fear of reproach. He will not say 'I told you so'. He will not find fault with me for my lack of wisdom. There is no doubt that God can and does rebuke us and convict us for our sins. But here James tells us when we are in the middle of great trials and difficulties, when we are struggling, confused, and do not know where to turn. We can call upon our Father in heaven and He will hear us and he will not upbraid us, it will be without reproach! Sweet, sweet words for my soul.

These words; "upbraideth not" also instruct me! He who is perfect, He who is holy has commanded me to be like Him. (Mat. 5:48) So I should seek to be like Him in kindness and compassion. If and when someone comes to me for advice and wisdom I should freely give it to them without upbraiding them, that is without reproach, without fault finding, without criticizing. May the Lord help me to do just that.

No comments: