Monday, August 31, 2009

from Gadsby's Hymns, 173

Christ a Sanctuary

To see Thy power and Thy glory, so as I have seen Thee in the sanctuary. Ps. 63:2

Honour and majesty are before Him: strength and beauty are in His sanctuary. Ps. 96:6

Sanctify the LORD of hosts Himself; and let Him be your fear, and let Him be your dread. And He shall be for a sanctuary. Isa. 8:13-14a


Jesus before Thy face I fall,
My Lord, my Life, my Hope, my All;
For I have nowhere else to flee,
No sanctuary, Lord, but Thee.

In Thee I every glory view,
Of safety, strength, and beauty too;
Beloved Savior, ever be
A Sanctuary unto me.

Whatever woes and fears betide,
In Thy dear bosom let me hide;
And, while I pour my soul to Thee,
Do Thou my Sanctuary be.

Through life and all its changing scenes,
And all the grief that intervenes,
Tis this supports my fainting heart ,
That Thou my Sanctuary art.

Apace the solemn hour draws nigh,
When I must bow my head and die;
But O what joy this witness gives,
Jesus, my Sanctuary lives!

He from the grave my dust will raise;
I in the heavens will sing His praise;
And when in glory I appear,
He'll be my Sanctuary there.


As I read this hymn I thought of those verses in John 6; "Then said Jesus unto the twelve, Will ye also go away? Then Simon Peter answered him, Lord, to whom shall we go? thou hast the words of eternal life.

This hymn may be sung to the tune of Blessed Assurance or When I Survey the Wondrous Cross.

No comments: