Sunday, September 6, 2009

the preacher's prayer

Before Sermon
from Gadsby's Hymns #508


Lord, fill thy servant's soul to-day
With pure seraphic fire
And set his tongue at liberty,
And grant his soul's desire.

O may he preach the word of God
With energy and power;
May gospel-blessings spread around,
Like a refreshing shower.

May God's eternal love and grace
Be sweetly felt within;
While he is preaching Christ the Lord,
Who bore our curse and sin.

May burdened sinners lose their load,
And downcast souls rejoice;
May doubting souls believe to-day
They are Jehovah's choice.

May Christ be first, and Christ be last,
And Christ be all in all,
Who died to make salvation sure,
And raise us from the fall.

O may thy servant now to-day
Proclaim salvation free,
As finished by the Son of God,
For such poor souls as we.



So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it. Isa 55:11


My doctrine shall drop as the rain, my speech shall distil as the dew, as the small rain upon the tender herb, and as the showers upon the grass: Because I will publish the name of the LORD: ascribe ye greatness unto our God. Deut 32:2-3


This hymn may be sung to the tune of Amazing Grace.

No comments: