Friday, September 18, 2009

Why are you still standing?

This is an excerpt from a message preached by Augustus Toplady in May 1774. While we know him today for his hymn Rock of Ages there is so much more to the man who died at the age of 38 years old. He wrote many, many hymns, served as a pastor, and was a very able writer of the truths of grace. He did, by the grace of God "earnestly contend for the faith which was once delivered unto the saints".



This excerpt comes from a message titled, Men Not Their Own Saviors, on this occasion he was speaking from Psalm 115:1 which reads,

"Not unto us, O Lord, not unto us, but unto Thy name give glory, for Thy mercy, and for Thy truth's sake".

We will break into the middle of his sixth point where he asked the question; Whom are we to thank for perseverance in holiness and good works, to the end?



Let me address myself to the true believer in Christ. You were called, it may be ten or twenty years ago, or longer, to the knowledge of God; and you still are found dwelling under the droppings of the sanctuary, and walking in Him you have received; following on, to know more of the Lord; sometimes faint, yet always wishing to pursue; tossed, but not lost; occasionally cast down, but not destroyed. How comes all this? How is that many flaming professors, who blazed out for a while, like luminaries of the first lustre, are quenched, extinguished, vanished; while your smoking flax(Isa. 42:3 & Mat. 12:20), and feeble spark of grace, continue to survive, and sometimes afford both light and heat? While more than a few, who perhaps once seemed to be rooted as rocks, and stable as pillars in the house of God, are become as water that runneth apace; why are you standing, though in yourself as weak, if not weaker, than they? A child of God can soon answer it thus: Having obtained help of God, I continue to this day(Acts 26:22). Not by my own might and power, but by the Spirit of the Lord of Hosts (Zec 4:6).

4 comments:

Eighteen said...

I found your blog while doing a Google search for 'Gadsby's hymns' .. I was surprised to find someone in your part of the US using it. I'm a Strict Baptist in the Uk and we use Gadsby's in our services each week, and am intriuged about where you worship. I didn't realise that anyone other that SB's used Gadsbys, or had heard of it!

CB said...

That is great, that you came across my blog. My wife and I belong to Providence Community Church here in St Johns County (near Jacksonville)Florida. But we do not use Gadsby's.

Before we moved back here (hometown) in 2005 we were members of a Baptist Church in Auburndale, FL. Our Sr. Pastor had a copy of it and that is how I became familiar with it.

My use of Gadsby's hymnal is strictly personal. I keep it near my Bible and I look at it once or twice a week. I've never been a part of a church that uses it but a good friend of mine uses it along with a couple of other hymnals in their services each week. He is pastor of Grace Chapel, located in O'Brien, FL.

I love the hymns found in Gadsby's, they promote God and teach His great truths of the scriptures that I believe.

So you are in the UK, I am currently reading a book written by an old Baptist preacher named William Rushton. He was from Liverpool England, the book was written in 1831, called "A Defense Of Particular Redemption". I don't know much about him personally but so far his book is excellent and right on.

Thanks for connecting with me. It's an encouragement to know someone else is blessed by the postings.

For future reference, my email address is cbell1956@gmail.com. Also, if you are interested I can set it up when each time I post you automatically receive a copy of the posting. It would require you sending your email address. But that's strictly up to you.

Stay in touch and may the Lord bless you and yours.

Sincerely,

Chuck Bell

Eighteen said...

Thanks for the response Chuck - I've added your blog to my google reader account so I will know each time you update from that.

I did a search of the 2 churches that you mentioned - the Grace chapel, o'brien sounds quite like where I worship.
Do they use KJV?

If you are interested, my uncle is pastor at this chapel..
www.chippenhamoldbaptist.org.uk
There are some audio sermons on the site which you may find a blessing.

CB said...

Yes, at Grace Chapel they use the KJV. I'll check your church's site out soon. I added it to my Favorites.