Saturday, July 3, 2010

Augustine

 Excerpt from Augustine's Confessions Book One

Augustine lived from 354 to 430 AD. I am only vaguely familiar with him but what I have read of his writings are incredible. His Confessions are sort of the equivalent of our personal journals (assuming you have a journal). They are an inward glimpse into the soul of a sinner transformed by the grace of God. Below is a brief example of his writings, he wrote in Latin so his writings have been translated into English by different men over the centuries. My copy is in old English so I've taken liberty by changing the 'thees' and 'thous'. I hope you enjoy it.


What are you then, my God? what, but the Lord God? For who is Lord but the Lord? or who is God save our God? Most highest, most good, most potent, most omnipotent; most merciful, yet most just; most hidden, yet most present; most beautiful, yet most strong; stable, yet incomprehensible; unchangeable, yet all-changing; never new, never old; all renewing, and bringing age upon the proud, and they know it not; ever working, ever at rest; still gathering, yet nothing lacking; supporting, filling, and overspreading; creating, nourishing, and maturing; seeking, yet having all things. You love, without passion; are jealous, without anxiety; repents, yet grieves not; are angry, yet serene; changes Your works, Your purpose unchanged, receives again what you find, yet did never lose; never in need, yet rejoicing in gains; never covetous, yet exacting usury. You receive over and above, that You may owe; and who has aught that is not Yours? You pay debts, owing nothing; remit debts, losing nothing. And what had I now said, my God, my life, my holy joy? or what says any man when he speaks of You? Yet woe to him that speaks not, since mute are even most eloquent.


Oh! that I might rest on You! Oh! that you would enter into my heart, and inebriate it, that I may forget my ills, and embrace You, my sole good?

No comments: