Monday, July 5, 2010

Rock of Ages

Rock of Ages
by Augustus Toplady and Thomas Hastings


Rock of ages, cleft for me, Let me hide myself in Thee;
Let the water and the blood, From Thy wounded side which flowed,
Be of sin the double cure, Save from wrath and make me pure.

Could my tears forever flow, Could my zeal no languor know,
These for sins could not atone - Thou must save and Thou alone;
In my hand no price I bring, Simply to Thy cross I cling.

While I draw this fleeting breath, When my eyes shall close in death;
When I rise to worlds unknown And behold Thee on Thy throne,
Rock of Ages, cleft for me, Let me hide myself in Thee!




Behold, I will stand before thee there upon the rock in Horeb; and thou shalt smite the rock, and there shall come water out of it, that the people may drink. Exodus 17:6

And the LORD said, Behold, there is a place by Me, and thou shalt stand upon a rock: And it shall come to pass, while My glory passeth by, that I will put thee in a clift of the rock, and will cover thee with My hand while I pass by: And I will take away mine hand, and thou shalt see My back parts: but My face shall not be seen. Exodus 33:21-23

Because I will publish the name of the LORD: ascribe ye greatness unto our God. He is the Rock, His work is perfect: for all His ways are judgment: a God of truth and without iniquity, just and right is He.       Deuteronomy 32:3-4

Moreover, brethren, I would not that ye should be ignorant, how that all our fathers were under the cloud, and all passed through the sea; And were all baptized unto Moses in the cloud and in the sea; And did all eat the same spiritual meat; And did all drink the same spiritual drink: for they drank of that spiritual Rock that followed them: and that Rock was Christ.                 1 Corinthians 10:4

From the end of the earth will I cry unto thee, when my heart is overwhelmed: lead me to the rock that is higher than I.                     Psalm 61:2

No comments: