Saturday, October 1, 2011

Are you rich toward God?


And he spake a parable unto them, saying, The ground of a certain rich man brought forth plentifully: And he thought within himself, saying, What shall I do, because I have no room where to bestow my fruits?


And he said, This will I do: I will pull down my barns, and build greater; and there will I bestow all my fruits and my goods. And I will say to my soul, Soul, thou hast much goods laid up for many years; take thine ease, eat, drink, and be merry. 


But God said unto him, Thou fool, this night thy soul shall be required of thee: then whose shall those things be, which thou hast provided? So is he that lays up treasure for himself, and is not rich toward God.                                    Luke 12:16-21





I fear some of us, maybe even many of us, will pass by this passage rather quickly, thinking, it's not for me because I'm not "rich". But I would caution you; don't miss the point. I believe the Lord Jesus is making the point, that we are not to get caught up in life, in our ambitions, our desires and the things of this world and forget we are souls. We are souls and we are accountable to our Creator.


I am not ignoring the thoughts here on riches. I'm attempting to emphasize the warning that whether we are pursuing riches, bigger barns, larger homes, better jobs or whatever else our hearts desire that we are foolish to ignore God and our souls. We are foolish to go on in life as if there is no God or as if there is no judgment to come. 


May He give us ears to hear in order that we may be found with those who are "rich toward God". True riches are found only in total surrender and submission to the One that God sent into the world, his Son, the Lord Jesus Christ.



For whosoever will save his life shall lose it; but whosoever shall lose his life for my sake and the gospel's, the same shall save it. For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul? Or what shall a man give in exchange for his soul?
                                                  Mark 8:35-37


No comments: